Planning and Development
The Planning and Development Department’s mission is to foster a dynamic, attractive and economically healthy township. The department works to:
- Increase community livability and quality of life through the Embrace Millcreek Comprehensive Plan and land development regulations
- Encourage development that incorporates quality design and protection of natural resources
- Strengthen community dialogue and understanding of planning issues
- Ensure that development standards of the community are met with each development
- Collaborate with other agencies on planning issues
In support of both current and comprehensive planning, the Planning and Development Department oversees the township's Engineering Division and Zoning and Development Division.
Comprehensive planning takes a long-range view to improve the social, economic and environmental well-being of the township and to contribute to the achievement of sustainable development.
In August of 2018 the Board of Supervisors adopted the Embrace Millcreek comprehensive plan. The plan identifies Millcreek's strengths and challenges, puts forth a set of Core Values to serve as a guide for future decisions, identifies five Focus Areas to concentrate future efforts, and an Action Plan to achieve the desired outcomes.
Initial implementation efforts include:
- Rewriting and modernizing the Zoning Code and land development regulations to provide the tools that will be necessary to activate parts of Embrace Millcreek
- Working with consultants, business owners, and other stakeholders on a detailed small area plan for the Presque Isle Gateway District which will allow the township to apply for and obtain grant and other sources of funding to invest in enhancing this unique regional resource
Current Planning involves the review processes for land development plans, subdivisions, conditional uses, rezoning petitions, and variances. Planning and Development staff from both the Engineering and Zoning & Development Divisions are supported in this mission by township residents who serve on two key panels: the Planning Commission and the Zoning Hearing Board. These volunteers serve a vital role prescribed in the Pennsylvania Municipalities Planning Code to bring citizen input to the land-use decisions made by the township.
Main page for the Engineering DivisionLink to page
Zoning & Development Division
Main page for the Zoning & Development DivisionLink to page
Link to website for the Embrace Millcreek comprehensive planLink to page
Community Development Block Grant ProgramLink to page
Zoning Permits Monthly Reports
A catalog of monthly Zoning Permit reports.Link to page
Forms & Information
View a collection of common zoning forms and informational resources.Link to page
Property Map Books
Access a collection of Millcreek Township Map Books.Link to page
View open opportunities to bid with Millcreek TownshipLink to page
View a list of current road closures in Millcreek TownshipLink to page
Uniform Construction Code
Read through information that should help in understanding what the Uniform Construction Code is, how it will be administered and the process that has led to the first inter-municipal approach to what, after all, is intended as a uniform set of construction standards.Link to page
Zoning SurveyLink to page
An “official map” is a combined map and ordinance designed to implement the goals and community vision set forth in the Embrace Millcreek Comprehensive Plan. The Official Map shows proposed streets, intersection improvements, stormwater improvement areas, trails, public grounds, parks, conservation areas, and other public lands and facilities within the Township.Link to page
Route 97 & 505 Traffic Study
Information about a traffic circulation improvement study being undertaken as a cooperative effort between Millcreek Township, PennDOT, and the Erie County Municipal Planning Organization (MPO.) Whitman, Requardt and Associates (WRA) is the consultant performing the study.Link to page