Code Enforcement

The purpose of the Bureau of Code Enforcement is to protect the health, safety, and welfare of the public in buildings and structures. Code Enforcement enforces the International Property Maintenance Code and International Fire Code as adopted by Millcreek Township.

Understanding Notices of Violation

Many inspections originate from requests called, electronically submitted or personally submitted to the Code Enforcement Office. Each request prompts an investigation or an inspection.

Once an inspector receives a request, it follows a standardized process developed to ensure legal notice and a reasonable compliance period is given to property owners where violations may exist. See workflow chart.

If you receive a notice of violation you should immediately reach out to the inspector to discuss a plan for compliance. Please call the number located on the letter you received in the mail or posted on your property. You have 20 days to appeal the inspector’s decision. Please contact the code office for information on appeals.

If you must leave a voicemail, the inspectors will make every effort to call you back as quickly as possible. Please give them at least one business day to respond. Once you reach an inspector, you will be able to discuss any violations or schedule an appointment to meet with the inspector at the property in violation.

If you do not respond to the Notice of Violation and do not comply with the notice, the inspector will do a second inspection. If the violations still exist, the inspector will issue a non-traffic criminal summary citation and will be prompted to submit court documents to the local magistrate in order to determine a fine. Once the magistrate receives the paperwork, they will schedule a hearing and send hearing documents to the property owner of record.


Types of Violations Code Enforcement Enforces

  • Weeds and/or debris on a property
  • Abandoned vehicles on private property only
  • Sidewalks that are a tripping hazard
  • Snow and Ice Removal on sidewalks
  • Electrical Violations
  • Building Violations
  • Fire Violations
  • Illegal Burning
  • Demolition Permits
  • Trash Accumulation on property
  • Pest Infestations
  • Condemnations

Violations Enforced by Other Township Departments

Police Department

  • Abandoned vehicles in the Public Right of Way
  • Noise Ordinance

Police Department - Animal Control

  • Any issues involving animals


  • Zoning Questions
  • Sign Ordinance
  • Building Permits
  • Pool Permits
  • Sign Permits
  • Questions regarding farm animals
  • Outdoor wood boilers

Public Works

  • Snow and ice removal on Township Streets
  • Potholes
  • Catch basins

Recycling Handles

  • Trash accumulation at curbside
  • Lack of trash service

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I file a complaint?

Call or visit the Code Enforcement office or file an electronic complaint form. After complaint is filed, it is forwarded to the Code Enforcement Inspectors or the responsible department.

How can I determine who owns the property?

You can use the Erie County Tax Records Website to find the owner of record for a property. Please note that Code Enforcement is not responsible for the accuracy of content on websites external to the Millcreek Township site.

What can Code Enforcement do about vacant properties?

If there is a violation with Township Ordinances, the process will be the same as a normal code violation. If compliance is not met, steps will be taken to raze or clean and secure the building, whichever is applicable.

Visit our FAQs page for more answers to common questions.